Democracy Center - Proportional representation

Logo Democracy Center

Lýðræðissetrið Demokratisentret Democracy Center

Research and advice on methods of voting and election

The aim of proportional representation is to ensure that the proportion of those elected shall accurately reflect the opinions of the voters. If 40% of the voters share views which shape the policy of party P and vote for those listed on the P slate of candidates, 40% of those elected should be of the same persuasion. However, the result will not inevitably ensure them corresponding influence. The post-election result may mean that the other 60% will band together to prevent group P from from having any influence. Some may find consolation in the hope that this will change in the next election.

A discussion of the opportunities to proportional influence is to be found in Democracy with Sequential Choice and Fund Voting in the chapter Fund Voting produces proportional results. In the book Proportional representation is discussed, usually in conjunction with Sequential Choice, see the Index. The section In retrospect shows how Sequential Choice and Fund Voting are logical options for various types of electoral districts (to elect a single person, larger electoral district, the entire country as a single electoral district).